Text Size

Yes Reach Out

answered 04:00 PM EST, Sun May 25, 2014
anonymous anonymous
If I know a small child is living with an alcoholic that is getting drunk every night while she is alone in the apartment as the only guardian should I call social services? She has the balcony across from mine and I can see her get falling down drunk every night. The little girl is about 6 and she is the granddaughter I think.

Jim LaPierre Says...

Hi there and thank you for your question - your concern is really a matter of common sense and yes urge you t contact whether you are required to by law or not. Its clear that this weighs heavily on your mind and that you have a big heart. If you are feeling brave, I urge you to reach out directly to the woman. Not late in the evening when she is impaired but perhaps much earlier. You could mention that your vantage point view allows you to see things that cause you to be concerned for them both (nonjudgmental)

Good luck and blessed be!

Subscribe Subscribe to this topic category

Page last updated May 25, 2014

Social Issues: Featured Experts
All Experts

This website is certified by Health On the Net Foundation. This site complies with the HONcode standard for trustworthy health information.

Find Treatment
Browse by region »
Scan to call us
using your phone camera app