The Benefits of AA

answered 08:33 AM EST, Tue March 12, 2013
How often am I supposed to go to AA meetings to get the benefit? I haven’t gone yet because I am sort of intimidated by walking into a meeting without knowing a lot about how it works.

Jim LaPierre Says...

I'm loving your question and I have some good news for you that you'll likely find hard to believe: EVERYONE who has gone into AA for the first time has gone with trepidation/fear/social anxiety/feeling bad about themselves.

Here's the key - go with an open mind. Take it all in and know that everyone in that room knows how you feel as a newcomer.

How often should you go? There's an expression I love, "Don't leave until the miracle happens." I also love their expression, "Keep coming back. It works if you work it and you're worth it!" I couldn't agree more.

My recommendation is to hit 90 meetings in 90 days to get the full affect. Unless you're living in an especially rural area there are probably multiple meetings a day near by to you. Google "AA (your hometown) meetings" and you'll see where and when they are.

Check out different meetings - each has a slightly different feel.

Good luck to you!

Page last updated Mar 12, 2013

Alcoholism: Featured Experts

Find Treatment
Browse by region »