Itching could be a liver dysfunction

answered 09:54 AM EST, Wed May 30, 2012
-- filed under:
If I am really itchy is that a sign that my liver is in trouble? I am a heavy drinker.

Scott Graham Says...

Excessive alcohol use can injure the liver and itching is one of the signs of liver disease. The liver is critical to our good health.  It not only servers as a purification site for our body but produces albumin (primary blood protein) and bile (key in digestion).

If you are concerned you should see your doctor RIGHT AWAY. It is good to be informed.  However, self diagnosis based on a question to a help forum is not a substitute for qualified medical evaluation.

Page last updated May 30, 2012

Alcoholism: Featured Experts