Text Size

A Second Opinion For Ruling Out Organicity is in Order --- Then A Psychological Consultation

answered 08:15 PM EST, Wed October 31, 2012
anonymous anonymous
I am getting weird pains in my abdomen. The doctors can't find any explanation for them and since they are non localized and I am without other symptoms that would explain them (my liver and kidney function tests cam back fine) they suggested that it could be anxiety manifesting as abdominal pains. I don't feel anxious. Is it possible to have an anxiety problem that you are not aware of?

Dr. Shirley Schaye Says...

I am sorry to hear about what is happening. Since you have ruled out organicity by having kidney and liver tests you might want to do more extensive tests. A physician would know what other tests to recommend. If after having more tests and the doctors can still not find anything wrong then and only then should you go for a consultation to a therapist. It is crucial to first rule out organicity.  It is possible to have physical symptoms and not be in touch with the anxiety. We call that Psychosomatic Symptoms. But first go for a second opinion to again rule out any physical symptomatology. Once you have a clean bill of health a therapist can help you dig deeper to find out what is going on and help you work through what is causing the anxiety if indeed that is what is wrong.

I wish you well and hope that you can find a resolution to this problem.

Dr. Shirley Schaye

Email It Send this page Print It Print friendly page Subscribe Subscribe to this topic category

Page last updated Nov 01, 2012

Anxiety: Featured Experts
All Experts

Join Thousands of Readers

who receive our weekly recovery newsletter.

This website is certified by Health On the Net Foundation. Click to verify. This site complies with the HONcode standard for trustworthy health information:
verify here.

Find Treatment
Browse by region »