Text Size

How do I get quality professional treatment for my daughter with an eating disorder?

answered 05:59 PM EST, Wed September 14, 2011
Tonya Current Tonya Current Maquoketa
Have a daughter with an eating disorder asking for help, took her to University of Iowa that stated they had an 'eating disorder" treatment center where it is a child psychiatric ward with no other eating disorder patients. Tried to discharge her to get help somewhere else and they pushed a court order on us stating she refused treatment which she never has, she has been asking for treatment. She does not believe she is getting the correct care and is very very scared in this environment. What can we do, we are looking for different centers in the Midwest but do not want her in a similar place. She does not feel safe and we feel helpless. So much more to story but any suggestions to midwest treatment centers and also ones that accept insurance?

William Anderson Says...

I hate hearing horror stories like this, but I know these things happen. I've seen it. Not all "treatment" is equal. I am so sorry this happened to you.

The good news is that your daughter wants help. That's the first big step. Too bad the professionals there seem to have failed her.

No matter what, you'll need a good Eating Disorders specialist within driving distance to work with for the long term. If you find one now, they can refer you to the best treatment near you, help you with that process, and they'll be there ready to help when she is discharged. Get on the phone and start calling.

You may have to look to a large city and travel some distance every week for sessions. It will be worth it to connect with the right person who has the right knowledge and experience. They will usually have the letters LMHC or LCSW after their name or be a Licensed Psychologist. Look for someone who specializes in Eating Disorders. They will have that fact prominently displayed in their brochure or resume. You can start with Yellow Pages, and don't forget to use your search engines to look for someone close by.

If you are unable to connect, please call my office directly and leave a message. I'll make sure you get hooked up.

However, if your daughter needs to be in the hospital now to be safe, you need to use what you have to keep her safe, even if it is not what you want. Don't wait if you are facing a medical emergency. Go to any hospital ER.

Best wishes.


Related Expert Answers:

Subscribe Subscribe to this topic category

Page last updated Sep 15, 2011

Eating Disorders: Featured Experts
All Experts

This website is certified by Health On the Net Foundation. This site complies with the HONcode standard for trustworthy health information.

Find Treatment
Browse by region »
Scan to call us
using your phone camera app