Panic Disorder

answered 02:03 PM EST, Mon September 24, 2012
Sometimes when I am in a public place like a mall I start to feel like the earth is moving under my feet, like a small earthquake and it makes me feel weak but it also makes me feel scared because no one else notices what I am feeling and now when it happens I just don’t say anything to anyone else because I don’t want to sound crazy. I just had a physical because I thought it was my blood pressure or something but everything is fine and I am only 32 so I don’t think I should be at risk for stuff like that. Is this some sort of sign that I am going crazy?

Dr. Lani Chin Says...

It sounds like you're experiencing something scary.  Based on what you've described, it sounds like you're experiencing a panic attack.  Feeling the earth moving in a public place is a symptom of agoraphobia.  I would strongly recommend you see a therapist for individual therapy to talk about these symptoms and try to learn coping skills for what you're going through.  Since you've already been seen by a physician that can rule out other physical abnormalities, a therapist could help you go further and diagnose other possibilities.  If you're in the Los Angeles area, I would be happy to help you: www.drlanichin.com or you can find someone else closer to you.  Your physician may also be able to refer you to someone.  Good luck.

Related Expert Answers:

Page last updated Sep 24, 2012

Call Now for
Rehab Options
Insurance Accepted
(Except Medicare)

Anxiety: Featured Experts