Text Size

Out of State Treatment

answered 07:34 PM EST, Thu January 10, 2013
Jade Metheny Jade Metheny Cumberland
Do I currently have to be a resident of the state that I would like to do my treatment?

Anna Deeds Says...

Anna Deeds A. Deeds

Thank you for your question.  It really depends on your insurance coverage if you want to go to a treatment facility that is out of the state you reside in.  If you are paying cash, you have the freedom to go to any treatment facility that you choose.  However, most insurance companies will only authorize you for the nearest facility to meet your needs. If you have insurance, contact your insurance company and ask them if they will cover you for the treatment facility of your choosing.  If you are on public assistance, you may have to go to a treatment facility in your state because the state is paying for your treatment.  The exception to this is if there are no facilities to meet your needs in the same state.  For example, if you need a benzodiazepines detox and dual diagnosis facility and there are none in your state, they would have to let you go somewhere that offered this treatment.  I'm sorry I couldn't be more specific without more information but I hope this helps to answer your question. Good luck with your treatment.

Subscribe Subscribe to this topic category

Page last updated Jan 10, 2013

This website is certified by Health On the Net Foundation. This site complies with the HONcode standard for trustworthy health information.

Find Treatment
Browse by region »
Scan to call us
using your phone camera app