Text Size

Treatment Options When Insurance Is an Issue

Comments (3)
anonymous anonymous
I am 7 months sober but I still need more recovery. My insurance won't pay for long term, but I don't have much money. What can I do?

Anna Deeds Says...

Anna Deeds A. Deeds

Thank you for your question.  Good for you for realizing you need more help and seeking it out!

I would start by calling your insurance company and asking them what they will cover.  While they may refuse inpatient treatment, they may cover intensive outpatient, partial hospitalization, group therapy or individual counseling.  Most insurances will at least pay for individual counseling.

Most counties also offer drug and alcohol treatment.  You can search online for the drug and alcohol treatment for your county.  If you have a mental health issue as well, you can request treatment for that.  Treating any co-occurring disorders will increase your chances for success.

Another option is a recovery house or three-quarter house.  You would live with other recovering addicts and go to AA/NA meetings.  You would have to pay rent but you could work while living there.

Alcoholics Anonymous and Narcotics Anonymous meetings are free to attend so this is something that you could do regardless of your financial situation.  Most cities have meetings throughout the day, evenings and weekends.  In AA/NA, you could also get a sponsor who would be someone you can call when you have cravings.

I hope this was helpful.  Good luck with your recovery!    

Subscribe Subscribe to this topic category

Page last updated Jul 22, 2016

This website is certified by Health On the Net Foundation. This site complies with the HONcode standard for trustworthy health information.

Find Treatment
Browse by region »
Scan to call us
using your phone camera app