Multiple Addictions

answered 12:23 PM EST, Tue April 29, 2014
Is there a program that has treatment for compulsive gambling and alcoholism? Or, if my brother has a gambling addiction and he is also an alcoholic which one should he focus on first? One always leads to the other so even when he gets one under control it never lasts for long.

Jim LaPierre Says...

Hi there and thank you for your question. The short answer is no - I'm not aware of a program that targets both addictions. My truth though is that to a certain extent, addiction is addiction is addiction. The only addiction that is unique is food addiction because that's something a person has to do everyday. All other addictions are things we never have to do again if we choose, do the work, and get the support we need.

Gambling makes your brother want to drink and drinking makes him want to gamble. Unfortunately, neither are manageable and the two together are just that much worse. Earnestly working a program like AA requires accountability and if he is willing to share all of his struggles with a sponsor and make a commitment to living one day at a time, both addictions can be overcome.

Seeking out an expert in addiction counseling would likely be beneficial as well. It's lovely how much you care about his struggles - keep reminding him that you're there is he wants to invest in Recovery.

Very best,

Page last updated Apr 29, 2014

Gambling Addiction: Featured Experts