Text Size

Getting Started in the Addiction Field

answered 07:01 AM EST, Tue March 13, 2012
I am a student intern and would like to know if you know of any treatment centers here in Nevada that are qualified to supervise student interns? I am in the final phase of my MS in Psychology at this point. Any suggests if you don't know of any place I can look?

Dr. Karl Benzio Says...

Congratulations on wanting to get involved on the front lines in one of the deadliest wars we are waging. I am not familiar with the landscape of Nevada treatment facilities and who would be open to interns. Most rehabs will take interns, and since you are free labor, they are usually excited to take you. Make sure you have a licensed therapist supervising you. Ideally a licensed Psychologist. States differ, and in some states, Clinical SW are trained well as therapists, and in other states they aren't. Same goes for Licensed Professional Counselors. You need to make sure a transition period of you observing group and individual, then co-facilitating, leading to you facilitating on your own. 

Don't ever pretend you know more than you do. If you are unsure, let the patient or staff know, but tell them you will find answers then go be a great detective. Good luck with your profession and progress.

Subscribe Subscribe to this topic category

Page last updated Mar 13, 2012

This website is certified by Health On the Net Foundation. This site complies with the HONcode standard for trustworthy health information.

Find Treatment
Browse by region »
Scan to call us
using your phone camera app