Text Size

Poly-Substance Abuse

answered 10:33 AM EST, Sat March 08, 2014
dennisgatto dennisgatto Roslyn
I am on the following medications, prescribed by my Psychiatrist:
Klonopin, 4 mgs daily, Aderall 20 mgs daily, celexa and sapharis 10 mg once a day.
I abuse the aderall and am addicted to painkillers. I abuse the klonopin to help with withdrawal from pain meds. Also, I have ben arrested for DWI in march of 2013 (I am NOT an abuser of alcohol) and I am on probation until December of 2014. How can I avoid the pain killer withdrawal? I do not want to use all of these drugs anymore. Is inpatient the best bet and if so, how long would I be in patient? I need to keep my job and do not want my probation officer knowing.

Anna Deeds Says...

Anna Deeds A. Deeds

Thank you for your question. That is a lot of addictive medication to be taking. I'm sure you do want to stop taking it but have stayed on it because you fear the withdrawal symptoms. You asked me how you can avoid the withdrawal from the pain medication. Unfortunately, the answer is that you probably cannot entirely avoid the withdrawal symptoms. The only method for that is rapid detoxification which is expensive and can be dangerous. If you use Medication Assisted Treatment (MAT) like Suboxone or Methadone, you will still have withdrawal when you taper off but the withdrawal will be less severe and occur over time. If you go to inpatient treatment, you will be given medications to make you more comfortable when you detox but there will be some discomfort. The withdrawal will pass though and you will be drug free and able to start fresh. I do think inpatient treatment is the best option. If you choose inpatient, you can complete treatment and be drug free in a shorter amount of time.

I understand the need to keep your job. Under federal law, people with disabilities are protected from discrimination. Addiction is a mental health disorder and as such is considered a disability. As I am not a lawyer, I would check with a lawyer to determine whether your situation is covered under the law. As for your probation officer, I would think he or she would be happy that you are getting help. Most probation officers want people to get treatment so they don't end up committing the same crimes.

I can't answer how long you would be in treatment because it varies according to your needs. That would be determined after the inpatient facility completed an assessment. It also can be affected by how long your insurance will cover you. I suggest you try to stay as long as you can. You are addicted to multiple substances which will make it more complicated to treat you properly. I'm also assuming there were reasons for you to be placed on that medication so the mental health disorders would have to be treated at the same time. You want to find an inpatient facility that treats dual diagnosis. Dual diagnosis means that in addition to addiction, you have one or more mental health disorders that need treatment.

I hope this helps answer your questions and good luck with your recovery.

Subscribe Subscribe to this topic category

Page last updated Mar 08, 2014

This website is certified by Health On the Net Foundation. This site complies with the HONcode standard for trustworthy health information.

Find Treatment
Browse by region »
Scan to call us
using your phone camera app