Text Size

Local Community Treatment Centers

answered 10:05 PM EST, Mon June 11, 2012
anonymous anonymous
What exactly is a man in his mid 70s who is drinking too much supposed to do. My uncle retired only a couple of years ago but since he did he’s come adrift and all he does every day now is sit in the local hole in the wall bar and drink quarts of beer from mid morning onward. I’ve talked to him about it and he says he knows he’s got a bit of a problem but he doesn’t know what to do about it. He’s a really good man but he’s a bit cranky and set in his ways he’s just not going to do well in any situation with younger people like AA. He’s not well off but he needs some help and I am not sure he should be living on his own really. What can a senior citizen on a pension do when he needs serious help with his drinking?

Scott Graham Says...

Local community-based treatment centers are a great resource.  They often have sliding scales based on income.  They can be a great starting place for recovery and can direct you to support groups that will assist in your efforts to stop drinking.

Find Out if Private Treatment Could Be an Option for You Knowledge is the first step towards better health. Are you aware of the health benefits your insurance covers?

Page last updated Jun 12, 2012

Alcohol Rehab: Featured Experts
All Experts

This website is certified by Health On the Net Foundation. This site complies with the HONcode standard for trustworthy health information.

Find Treatment
Browse by region »
Scan to call us
using your phone camera app