Text Size

The Worst Type of Powerlessness

answered 07:59 AM EST, Wed March 27, 2013
anonymous anonymous
What do I do if I know my daughter in law is doing drugs while pregnant with my first grandchild? She has had an off again on again relationship with my son for 5 years and both have had problems with drugs and drinking. My son told me she is still doing cocaine and meth once in a while and smoking marijuana daily though at least she is no longer drinking, he says. I tried calling her but she won’t talk to me. Is there anything I can do to protect my future grandchild?

Jim LaPierre Says...

The worst type of powerlessness is watching a child suffer and being unable to stop/prevent it. Unfortunately, there is nothing that you c an do to prevent her drug use currently. I encourage you to continue to reach out and perhaps if you're able to leave voicemail, send cards or notes be clear that you're concerned and wanting to help. Even still she is unlikely to respond but this approach has some potential to work - shaming or threatening has no possibility of working.

If you are able to report illegal activity on her part (objectively not opinion) to local law enforcement I encourage you to. I urge you to contact your local Child Protective Services (the names vary by state, in Maine it's the Department of Health and Human Services). Report to them that she is known to be abusing multiple substances and they will intervene (hopefully) when the child is born.

Good luck and blessed be,


Related Expert Answers:

Email It Send this page Print It Print friendly page Subscribe Subscribe to this topic category

Page last updated Mar 27, 2013

Living With An Addict: Featured Experts
All Experts

This website is certified by Health On the Net Foundation. Click to verify. This site complies with the HONcode standard for trustworthy health information:
verify here.

Find Treatment
Browse by region »