Home \ Expert Q & A \ Addiction Treatment \ Addiction Treatment: Jim LaPierre \ Legal Issues, Following a Meth Binge
Text Size

Legal Issues, Following a Meth Binge

answered 07:37 AM EST, Wed February 27, 2013
anonymous anonymous
My son is in a prison psychiatric hospital after assaulting two people in the park last week. He is a meth addict and from what I have put together he was tweaking hard after a many day straight binge with no sleep.

He is being charged with a felony. He is still psychotic now so there is no douibt he was last weekend at the time of the crime. Can he use an insanity defense and maybe get some treatment instead of prison (he has prior theft convictions) or because this is a violent crime is treatment unlikely?

Jim LaPierre Says...

My best advice is to consult with an attorney as I believe there is variance from state to state and from one district attorney to another. Past convictions are a major factor here and past attempts at treatment may be considered as well. If possible I urge you to retain a good attorney in pursuit of a treatment option though it seems likely that he will do prison time as well.

My prayers go out to you and your family. Strange though it may seem, I have worked with countless folks for whom going to jail/prison was beneficial because it was the only thing that could make them stop using.

Email It Send this page Print It Print friendly page Subscribe Subscribe to this topic category

Page last updated Feb 27, 2013

Addiction Treatment: Featured Experts
All Experts

This website is certified by Health On the Net Foundation. Click to verify. This site complies with the HONcode standard for trustworthy health information:
verify here.

Find Treatment
Browse by region »