Looking for a little wisdom and inspiration for your walk to recovery?
Where better to find it than from the words and wisdom of some of humankind’s greatest writers and thinkers?
Here’s a collection of 12 of the most notable, inspiring or amusing takes on addiction and recovery:
1. "The chains of habit are generally too small to be felt until they are too strong to be broken."
2. "Habit, if not resisted, soon becomes necessity."
3. "The unfortunate thing about this world is that good habits are so much easier to give up than bad ones."
4. "It is never too late to be what you might have been.”
5. "We cannot, in a moment, get rid of habits of a lifetime."
6. "Decide that you want it more than you are afraid of it."
7. "The ultimate measure of a man is not where he stands in moments of comfort and convenience, but where he stands at times of challenge and controversy."
Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr.
8. The mind is its own place, and in itself, can make heaven of Hell, and a hell of Heaven."
9. "That which we persist in doing becomes easier - not that the nature of the task has changed, but our ability to do has increased."
Ralph Waldo Emerson
10. "If we did the things we are capable of, we would astound ourselves."
11. “You can't separate peace from freedom because no one can be at peace unless he has his freedom.”
12. “Take the first step in faith. You don't have to see the whole staircase, just take the first step.”
Dr. Martin Luther King Jr.
Page last updated Feb 10, 2012