Dr. Stuart Shipko
- Therapy Orientation:
- Eclectic, Forensic Psychology, Psychodynamic, Transpersonal, Existential
- Age Focus:
- Mood Disorders, Other, Life Coaching, Anxiety or Fears, Finding Your Purpose in Life
- Treatment Modality:
- Any Ethnicity
- Sexual Orientation:
- Any Orientation
- Religious Beliefs:
- Any Religion
- Last updated:
- Feb 29, 2016
- Stuart Shipko ,M.D.
- Life Is Worth Living Because...
- of the holiness of the heart's affections and the truth of imagination (Keats)
- About My Work
- I am a psychiatrist in private practice for 34 years, currently in Pasadena, CA. Sub-specialty interests include adverse effects of prescription psychiatric medications, withdrawal from psychiatric medications, psychosomatic medicine and panic/anxiety disorders.
- My Story
- Initially I was an emergency medicine physician, and later went into psychiatry because of an interest in the patients with stress related disorders. Years later these patients were considered to have panic disorder - a diagnosis that did not even exist back then. I think that the emergency medicine background was so important. Back then there were no CT scanners or MRIs and the doctor had to really examine the patient and make observations. I think that this gave me the background in observation that was needed to draw good conclusions concerning the beneficial effects and adverse effects of the psychiatric medications that later became so popular. I have completed original, peer reviewed research in psychosomatics, stress and panic disorder. My approach to patient care involves a lot of listening and common sense.
|Years in Practice:||30+ Years|
|Graduated from:||University of Michigan|
|License issued in:||California|
|License Expiry:||Mar 2018|
|Board Certification:||American Board of Psychiatry and Neurology|
Cost & Payment Modalities
|Avg Cost (session):||greater than $150|
|Insurances accepted:||Aetna, Anthem, United Behavioral Healthcare|
|Accepts Credit Cards:||Yes|
Please verify costs and payment modalities before you arrange your first visit
Dr. Stuart Shipko's Most Recent Activity on Choose Help
Q & A Reply: Facebook Share on Twitter 01:50 - Jul 22, 2016 My new therapist lowered my Xanax by half and its not working
Hi There, Okay I have been diagnosed with major depression and severe anxiety. I have had the same therapist for 6 years. My medications are trazodone 100mg at bedtime, Celexa 40mg in am, xanax 1mg 3 times a day. This has been working for years. ...
Q & A Reply: Facebook Share on Twitter 01:38 - Jul 22, 2016 If You Take Effexor with MDMA Can You Get Serotonin Syndrome?
I have this friend who is on Effexor. She does MDMA sometimes. I thought this was a dangerous combo. She has done MDMA about 10 times already and says it is fine. How dangerous is this combination? Is this like a 1 in a million chance to get ...
Q & A Reply: Facebook Share on Twitter 01:09 - Jul 22, 2016 What is the best way to reduce my Xanax dosage?
If I want to make a Xanax tapering plan is it better for me to gradually reduce the dosage I am taking or to gradually lengthen the interval between doses; or maybe some combination of the two. As a practical matter, it seems easier to lengthen the ...
Q & A Reply: Facebook Share on Twitter 11:47 - Jul 22, 2016 Self-Conscious in Social Situations
Whenever I am I a social situation it feels like I am an actor playing a script of me...I don't know how better to explain it, but its almost like I am looking at things from an outside perspective (not really, but I am always thinking about how ...
Q & A Reply: Facebook Share on Twitter 10:34 - Nov 23, 2015 Klonopin Withdrawal
Dr. Shipko, I have been off .5 mg./day of Klonopin for 8 months now. I had been on Klonopin (various doses) since 1995, weaned off with great difficulty and stayed off for 20 months before reinstating. I have been experiencing anxiety and in ...
Q & A Reply: Facebook Share on Twitter 08:22 - Jan 02, 2015 I need help in tapering my Ativan
Hi I was taking 2mg of lorazepam for months and I start to taper off in July this year, so far the withdrawal was insomnia. now I am down to 0.5mg for 1 and a half month. Tonight I am unable to fall asleep at 0.5mg of lorazepam I do not know why ...
Q & A Reply: Facebook Share on Twitter 09:09 - Jul 18, 2014 Will Klonopin increase my risk of Alzheimers?
There is a history of early onset Alzheimer’s in my family. I have anxiety problems and am prescribed clonazepam to take as needed when I feel panic but I am concerned about how this could have a long term impact on my memory. Will this drug ...
Q & A Reply: Facebook Share on Twitter 10:04 - Jun 12, 2014 Question on how to wean off of Ativan (a benzodiazepine). addendum
Hello Dr. Shipko! Thanks so much for your quick answer. I got a bit of relief from just getting and answer ::-) I am still tapering off the Metoprolol. I am cutting smaller and smaller doses. It has taken me about 7-8 weeks to get from 50 mg 2x a ...
Q & A Reply: Facebook Share on Twitter 09:16 - Jun 11, 2014 Question on how to wean off of Ativan (a benzodiazepine).
Hello Dr. Last November i had a high blood pressure experience 230/120. Saw a Dr. and he gave me Amplodipine, Benazapril, and Metoprolol, 1mg Lorazepam as needed and a diuretic and Potassium Cloride 10 mg ER. Was a Zombie for 6 months couldnt work ...