Mental Health Help for the Underinsured

answered 07:26 PM EST, Tue June 18, 2013
Can I ask you a question as a purely hypothetical situation? It’s actually not that hypothetical but I think it’s easier not to go into the details of reality. So if a person feels like they are going crazy because they are hearing voices all the time. But these voices are not telling them to do anything bad or anything like that and they do not feel in danger of hurting themselves or anyone else, how is the best way they can get help if they have no money or insurance or Medicaid. If they go to a hospital and say they are hearing voices can they get help for free? Or do they have to say they are hearing voices that are telling them to harm themselves in order to get help? It may seem like in this example a person is trying to manipulate the system, but the people around this person just want to see that person get some help.

E W Says...

There is help out there - Mental Health America has a fairly comprehensive article  - depending on where you live and what qualifies you for the services in your area.  This person hearing voices - if at any time there is any danger of harm to self or others should go to an emergency services facility or call 911.  If, however, as you say, there is no danger at all, then calling your local crisis hotline would be a good first step.  Alternatives include indigent care clinics or your local mental health agency.  Please do seek help, for yourself or this hypothetical person.  Although the symptoms may appear harmless at the moment, the issues should still be addressed as soon as possible to prevent any further distress or potential harm.  Thank you for reaching out and I wish you all the best.

Page last updated Jun 18, 2013