Is REBT the same as CBT?

answered 02:47 PM EST, Thu June 07, 2012
What’s the difference between cognitive behavioral therapy (CBT) and rational emotive therapy. I want to learn how to deal with some anxiety and I am dealing with and I was thinking after doing some research that CBT was the best way to go. Now I see some therapists taking about rational emotive therapy and tome it sounds like the same thing. Is this just a different name for CBT or is it something better. Which one is best for some mild anxiety issues?

It's sort of like the difference between a Lincoln and a Mercury. They are both made by Ford Motor Company, but they have their own unique brands.

Rational Emotive Behavior Therapy (REBT) is a form of CBT that is highly structured. The therapy work is somewhat class-like with exercises and activities outside of the therapy session. I don't know that there has been any evidence to suggest a general CBT approach is better than REBT or vice versa. The philosophy of both is coming from the same foundation. What is more influential in your recovery is the relationship you build with your therapist over the modality of the therapy they use.

Best to you in your search and growth.

Share It Share this page on Google+, Facebook or Twitter Email It Send this page Print It Print friendly page Subscribe Subscribe to this topic category

Page last updated Jun 07, 2012