Text Size

Workplace Harassment?

answered 07:36 AM EST, Wed November 07, 2012
-- filed under: |
I feel neglected, ignored, belittled, ridiculed, and mocked by others mostly at work place.

Folks make fun of me and enjoy so-called good natured teasing. I’ve poor self esteem and low self worth. Also I’ve a body image problem and I do not like my looks/appearance. Please help advice.

Delisted Expert Says...

I am so sorry to hear about your situation. Depending on the particular facts in your case, you may want to contact your local Equal Opportunity Employment office - if you are subject to harassment that impacts your work, you may have cause to file a claim.

Life is short and no one should have to spend it feeling miserable, especially if one's workplace rights might be violated.

That said, you may benefit from support. If your employer has an EAP (Employee Assistance Program) then it should be free and confidential for you to receive mental health counseling and potentially legal advice through that program (limited by program benefits). If you have insurance, see if out-patient counseling is covered. If none of the above are available to you, try your local United Way office or any other community employment or counseling resources. 

Also, as always, it's a good idea to get a check up from your medical doctor. This can help rule out any complicating physical conditions which can contribute to feelings of un-wellness, and your doctor may be able to refer you to some local help.

Please do not continue to suffer along. Good-natured teasing means that no one gets hurt - and that seems to contradict what you are saying. You might have your own issues, for which you need support, but there are also legal and ethical standards for how we are treated in our place of employment. A thorough consultation with a therapist may help you sort through the various issues, provide information and an objective ear, and may lead to a plan to provide you with support and resources. Even if there are no legal issues, I applaud you for reaching out for help and encourage you to continue - it seems you want, and deserve, to feel better than you do now. Don't give up.  Seek a licensed therapist in your area and go from there. Best wishes to you and I hope you are feeling better soon.


Email It Send this page Print It Print friendly page Subscribe Subscribe to this topic category

Page last updated Nov 07, 2012

Counseling: Featured Experts
All Experts

Join Thousands of Readers

who receive our weekly recovery newsletter.

This website is certified by Health On the Net Foundation. Click to verify. This site complies with the HONcode standard for trustworthy health information:
verify here.

Find Treatment
Browse by region »