- Ask Him a Question
- Therapy Orientation:
- Interpersonal, Cognitive Behavioral (CBT), Relational Therapy, Solution Focused Brief Therapy (SFBT), Family/Marital Therapy, Humanistic, Existential, Eclectic, Gestalt, Other, Any Orientation
- Age Focus:
- Seniors, Teenagers, Adults
- Gay Lesbian Issues, Sex Therapy, Anxiety or Fears, Compulsive Disorders, OCD, Mood Disorders, Personality Disorders, Other, Chronic Pain or Illness, Impulse Control Disorders, Relationship Issues, Loss or Grief, Thinking Disorders, Depression, Finding Your Purpose in Life
- Treatment Modality:
- Couples, Individuals, Groups
- Any Ethnicity
- Sexual Orientation:
- Transgender, Lesbian, Gay, Any Orientation
- Religious Beliefs:
- Any Religion
- Last updated:
- Jul 31, 2015
- Find me on:
- Life Is Worth Living Because...
- there are always new things to learn ... new opportunities and challenges ... beautiful people to meet ... new and/or improved relationships ... deep feelings that confirm we are oh so real ... and learning to laugh at ourselves, with affection!
- About My Work
I am in private practice for in person therapy and online counseling. I work with individuals, couples, groups, and sometimes adolescents.
I believe that you are the expert on yourself and your situation. My job is to mirror and lift up your strengths, help you understand why things are the way they are, and guide you to find answers and solutions within yourself.
Particular emphasis on learning to red-flag your negative and self-defeating thoughts, and replacing them with self-talk that is more positive, accurate, or at least more balanced.
Down to earth, practical help in the real world, with a touch of humor. I am fairly open about myself, and do not presume to be the "healthy" one. We all face the challenges of living, and have our own kinds of craziness.
- My Story
- Pioneer in GLBT Community Mental Health, in Boston 1971. Four decades of counseling and psychotherapy experience, with a wide range of clients, diagnoses, and presenting problems. I have worked a lot with people who have serious and persistent mental illness. Case management and counseling for people living with HIV/AIDS. Psycho-educational treatment groups for sex offenders. Knowledgeable about alternative sexualities, such as leather, kink, and polyamory. Supportive of bisexuals claiming their collective power and being more visible. Sensitive to non-binary gender identities. I know enough to help transsexuals in early exploration and decision making, and to be supportive again toward the end of transitioning, dealing with possible adjustment issues.
|Years in Practice:||30+ Years|
|Graduated from:||University of Minnesota|
|Technologies:||IM chat and Email|
Please use the contact form on this page to find out more about the provider's remote therapy options
Cost & Payment Modalities
|Avg Cost (session):||Sliding Scale|
|Insurances accepted:||Out of Network, Other, MN Medical Assistance|
|Online Payments accepted:||Yes|
Please verify costs and payment modalities before you arrange your first visit
David Shannon's Most Recent Activity on Choose Help
Q & A Reply: Facebook Share on Twitter 12:04 - Jun 06, 2013 Do all men get off on porn that humiliates and degrades women?
My husband watches porn that I find very degrading and disgusting. He says that all men watch this kind of stuff and he is just the only one that is not ashamed to admit it to me. I can see that this is possible. It always seems to involve ...
Q & A Reply: Facebook Share on Twitter 08:48 - Feb 13, 2013 Overworked, Under Appreciated, and Depressed
I don't know what to do. Work is becoming very unbearable. I am becoming angry, depressed and feel cornered. I am a recovery alcoholic. I have a sponsor, attend meetings, work steps, and practice principles in my life. I have a wife and kids I am ...
Q & A Reply: Facebook Share on Twitter 11:33 - Jan 18, 2013 Secrecy about exhibitionism can be toxic to a relationship.
I enjoy exhibitionism. I post naked pictures online and I will sometimes have intentional wardrobe malfunctions in public places for the shock value. I do not actually like sex as much as a like the thrill of exposing myself. I am now in a serious ...
Q & A Reply: Facebook Share on Twitter 11:45 - Jan 17, 2013 Being anxious about people laughing at me when I exercise.
I am quite overweight. I am shy about my body in normal times but when I am doing any kind of exercise I am sure that everyone is laughing at how ridiculous I look. It is to the point where even thinking about exercise in public at all makes my ...
Q & A Reply: Facebook Share on Twitter 10:41 - Dec 27, 2012 Teenage marijuana use and Schizophrenia
My brother has schizophrenia. He is 22 and I am 16. My parents know I smoke weed. They say if I smoke weed I am more likely going to get the same disease as my brother. I am not sure if they are full of it or not. They are always trying to scare me ...
Q & A Reply: Facebook Share on Twitter 12:25 - Oct 18, 2012 So anxious driving, I have to pull over and call for help!
There is no obvious cause that I can think of but I am now very anxious whenever I have to drive anywhere. I never used to have a problem but now I am so nervous that I avoid driving whenever I can and sometimes I have to pull over and call my ...
Q & A Reply: Facebook Share on Twitter 10:28 - Oct 11, 2012 Pornography: enjoyable hobby or compulsive habit?
Is porn bad for me? I probably look at porn for an hour or two each day. I am single and sometime I find it hard to make an effort to date because I kind of suck at it and because I am not that good looking. I think sometimes that if I didn’t have ...
Q & A Reply: Facebook Share on Twitter 11:55 - Oct 04, 2012 I saw my neighbor share a joint with his 14 year old son.
I saw my neighbor sharing a joint with his 14 year old son. I know it was marijuana because I can smell it everyday as it floats into my kitchen window. I am not sure if it is any of my business but it just looked so wrong. He is on disability and ...
Q & A Reply: Facebook Share on Twitter 01:47 - Sep 27, 2012 Physical symptoms, panic attacks, and how to manage them
For about a week I have felt like I have a lump in my throat all the time and sometimes I am so stressed at work, I am a chef, I can feel my heart start pounding in my neck and I always wonder if I am going to have a heart attack. My friend is a ...
Q & A Reply: Facebook Share on Twitter 07:27 - Sep 17, 2012 Stress, Obsessive Compulsive Disorder, and Sleep
I have a hard time getting to sleep because I have to check everything in the house a number of times before I can force myself to stay in bed. And often once I am in bed I will have to get out to go and check on the kids again and to make sure I ...