A Violent Teenager

answered 02:31 AM EST, Thu June 28, 2012
My daughter has anger issue and has been abusive to me. She is in the behavior hospital for chocking me. Should I have her sent to a program. This is the second time she has asaulted me, she is 14 years old and has bipolar.

David Johnson Says...

An angry adolescent is difficult enough without the additional complication of bipolar disorder. Now you are left with an extremely difficult situation. It sounds like your daughter may have become a danger to you. Or even if she couldn't really hurt you, she may get hurt restraining her. This is a situation that calls for intervention. The question is what is the best option. With a situation as difficult as this, work with your treatment team and develop a solution you can live with that will take the danger out of the situation. That could involve medication, in home counseling, day treatment, or even an out of home placement in a treatment facility. I wish you the very best during this difficult time.

Page last updated Jun 28, 2012

Adolescent Issues: Featured Experts