Calling Child Protective Services: Rock and a hard place

answered 09:12 AM EST, Fri July 13, 2012
Are children better off with a parent who is a cocaine addict and who is a little bit neglectful but who obviously still loves her kids or in a foster care home? I am a teacher of a 9 year old and I know the mom has a drug problem. Her children sometimes come to school in dirty clothes and without lunches or appropriate school supplies. I do not know if I report the neglect I have seen if the children are going to end up in a better or worse situation.

Raffi Bilek Says...

Your question is probably only theoretical, and I'll explain why in a moment.  It's a tough call.  We know that the foster care system has some serious shortcomings.  At the same time, a 9-year-old in the care of a cocaine addict is in danger on multiple counts.

That said, you have a responsibility to call child protective services and let them make the determination. Is this a perfect solution? No - but it's the best one we have, and what's more, it's the law.

Page last updated Aug 13, 2012

Call Now for
Rehab Options
Insurance Accepted
(Except Medicare)

Social Issues: Featured Experts