Can therapy help insomnia?

answered 02:40 AM EST, Thu May 03, 2012
-- filed under: | |
I don’t really know if this is a reasonable thing or not but I have a big problem with insomnia and it is something that I have been dealing with for a long time and I have tried a lot of things to try to overcome it. I have gone down the tranquilizer route in the past and for a few reasons I would prefer to not take medicines to fall asleep any more. I have been made aware that cognitive behavioral therapy can sometimes help. I was wondering if cognitive behavioral therapy for insomnia was something that could be provided by a therapist on an online basis. Have you ever heard of anyone doing this? Does it work, in your opinion?

Cognitive Behavioral Therapy is one of the best suited forms of therapy for online counseling because it involves so much instruction and activities and exercises outside the therapy session. Whether or not CBT or distance therapy will be effective for your insomnia will depend on the genesis of your sleep disturbance. It's important in cases like yours to have a full physical by your primary care physician to rule out physical causes to you problem. You may also need to have a sleep study performed. If excessive worry and persistent thoughts are at the root of your problems, CBT would likely be helpful.

Page last updated May 03, 2012

Online Counseling: Featured Experts