No Dietary Cure For Depression

answered 11:10 PM EST, Sat March 10, 2012
-- filed under: | |
Is there any certain diet that helps people with depression? My husband is having a hard time right now and he has been diagnosed with depression. He is seeing a therapist and is taking medication but I want to do what I can to support him. I have heard that a diet high in processed grains and sugars can lead to depression. Is this true? Is there a particular diet strategy that helps people recover?

Shannon Rice Says...

To my knowledge there is not diet that can specifically improve depression.  However, what you eat and how you eat can affect or be affected by your mood.  Here is a link to an article that may be helpful 

http://www.webmd.com/depression/guide/diet-recovery

Related Expert Answers:

Page last updated Mar 11, 2012

Call Now for
Rehab Options
Insurance Accepted
(Except Medicare)

Shannon Rice - LCSW-R
Clinical Social Worker/Therapist Wellness Therapy Center
Depression: Featured Experts
Topics Covered by this Expert
Depression Depression Symptoms Diets nutrition