Rapid Mood Swings

answered 10:28 PM EST, Tue November 27, 2012
-- filed under:
I have recently changes in way that is confusing me a great deal. My moods are like a roller coaster. One minute I am in top spirits and laughing at nothing and then literally 2 minutes later I can be tearing up I am so sad and then 10 minutes later some little thing will make me so angry I’ll be screaming and shouting. I live alone and work from home so at least no one has to see me as I act like a crazy person. This has been going on for a week or so. What is going on with me?

E W Says...

I am very sorry for what you are going through - clearly sounds very unnerving and confusing. Without further details, there's not a specific answer, but I do believe you need help, and you should not, and do not have to suffer alone!

First course of action is go see your primary care doctor as soon as possible. If he/she won't listen or run medical tests and says it's all "in your head" then find another doctor fast. There are definitely medical conditions that can contribute to these types of symptoms. I do not know if you are already on medications or have any medical issues, but definitely start with your doctor. 

Second course is to go see a therapist or psychiatrist. You definitely need help identifying what might be going on before a course of treatment or cure can be found.  

If you have insurance, start there with the medical doctor you regularly see. Your doctor may also be able to refer you to a psychiatrist or counselor. If you do not have insurance, look for clinics or contact your local United Way or Red Cross for referrals.

It is good that you are looking for help - do not suffer alone, and do not just hope it will go away. Seek help and keep at it until help is found. It may take more than one doctor or one try, but don't give up. A better life is possible, but we all need help sometimes to figure out what's going on, and figure out ways to fix it! Best wishes to you!

Page last updated Nov 30, 2012