random acts of kindness? just be careful

answered 08:25 PM EST, Sun June 01, 2014
-- filed under:
Someone in my treatment group said a couple of nights ago that she tried to do one random acts of kindness every day. I want to do this too but she didn’t say what she did. Do you have any ideas for how I can do little acts of kindness to strangers? I have this idea that I would like to do it but I am not coming across many opportunities in my day by day life to do things for people, like help old people across the street or carry someone’s groceries for them.

E W Says...

There is an entire website http://www.randomactsofkindness.org/ devoted to just this topic.  I think it is a great idea, however, caution should be exercised.  

Boundaries - personal, professional, ethical - be sure to check yourself and don't violate anybody's personal space, professional roles, belongings, relationships, or their morals/ethical boundaries.  

Act with care - there is a saying that "the road to heck is paved with good intentions" - so be sure that your "good" act is one that cannot easily be misconstrued or could cause complications or problems.  

Get a second opinion - if there is any doubt, get a second opinion from a trusted person with an outside view, professional human resources representative, counselor, pastor, etc.  

Safety first, common sense, avoid anything that could be unethical or illegal, against an employer's policies, etc. etc.  

Other than that, enjoy and best wishes spreading kindness!

Page last updated Jun 01, 2014