How to Say No to a Therapist

answered 09:50 PM EST, Tue March 26, 2013
If I go to a therapist for a free trial meeting and then I do not like him do I have to say that I do not want to make another appointment? I have a very hard time saying no to people in situations like that. Or is it not normal for him to ask me if I want to continue or not to save me from feeling this awkwardness. How does this normally work?

E W Says...

Hi!  Don't let the fear of having to reject a therapist keep you from going to see one.  If you are ready to give counseling a try, then go for it!  Yes, the therapist will most likely ask you if you want to make another appointment, but you do not have to say yes... or no.  The therapist needs to know if you want to continue so that he/she can make sure you get a scheduled spot that works for you.  But, you are under no obligation to schedule anything - and if you say yes when you mean no, you might find yourself with a bill for a missed appointment.  Instead, it is perfectly acceptable to say, "I need time to think about it, and I will call you if I want to schedule an appointment."  That's it.  No outright rejection, no discomfort.  A professional therapist should be just fine accepting an answer like that - if not, then clearly that is not a therapist you should be working with at all.  Therapy should never involve high pressure sales tactics.  So, give it a try - or several tries - until you find a therapist that is a good fit for you.  Best wishes!

Page last updated Mar 26, 2013

Call Now for
Rehab Options
Insurance Accepted
(Except Medicare)