Self-Conscious in Social Situations

Comments (1)
answered 11:15 PM EST, Thu August 23, 2012
-- filed under: |
Whenever I am I a social situation it feels like I am an actor playing a script of me...I don't know how better to explain it, but its almost like I am looking at things from an outside perspective (not really, but I am always thinking about how everyone around me is perceiving everything I am doing) and the instead of just being able to act naturally and enjoy myself I feel like I am in a spotlight all the time or like I am on stage in a play and that everyone is watching me and judging me on everything I do. I don't know why, but I feel this especially when I am out with my kids and I am talking to them in public. Whenever we are at home and alone it's just very natural and fun but as soon as there is an 'audience' I start feeling really self conscious about everything I say and I am always feeling like people are constantly judging me on my parenting skills. Why am I like this and how can I stop being like this?

Dr. Stuart Shipko Says...

It is not possible to tell you why you feel this way, as the cause of this behavior is likely complex.  As far as changing your behavior, it would seem that by continued socializing that you should get more comfortable with it.  If not, you might benefit from cognitive therapy which would help teach you to be more comfortable in these situations.

Page last updated Jul 22, 2016

Anxiety: Featured Experts