Thoughts of harm constitute an emergency

answered 03:46 PM EST, Tue November 01, 2011
I feel like I am losing my mind. I am having these terrible thoughts all the time where I imagine myself hurting myself or my children. I know that I don’t want to do anything like this but it has gotten to the point now that I am terrified to even drive us around in the car anymore because I am so worried about these thought I have that I’ll turn the car into oncoming traffic. I don’t ever like to be alone with my kids anymore because I am so worried I will hurt them even though I know that I would never do that.

It feels like when you stand on a balcony and you have that urge to jump that causes you to sort of swoon with fear – but I have that kind of fear going through my head all the time for all these scenarios I imagine in my head. Most of them are so horrible I am too embarrassed to even talk about them – like I imagine putting my infant son in the oven and so now I am scared to even use it. How can I stop having these thoughts?!!!!

There is help for you but self-help is not where to start in your situation. Your safety and your children's safety is at risk. You need help and you need it immediately. You can start by calling 911 or going to the nearest emergency room. You can also contact a local mental health clinic or the National Suicide Crisis Line at 800-273-8255. If you are located outside the US, you can find local resources by country by going to befrienders.org.

Do not delay. There is hope when you reach out to the right people.

Best to you.

Note to other readers: This forum should not be used as a way to diagnose or treat yourself. This forum is for informational purposes. Posting a plea for help on a public board like this does not ensure anyone will reply right away. If you have thoughts of harming yourself or someone else, contact local help immediately.

Page last updated Nov 02, 2011

Anxiety: Featured Experts