Drinking to Not Feel

answered 12:50 PM EST, Wed January 07, 2015
-- filed under:
Are alcoholics ever sad about anything? Does liquor take all their emotions away?

Jim LaPierre Says...

Hi there and thanks very much for your question! Short answer - alcoholics generally experience a full range of emotions but will often conceal many of the more vulnerable emotions (fear, sadness, disappointment, loneliness) and they will drink to numb these emotions. Depending upon the individual, you may see a sharp mood swing when they drink. Of course alcohol remains a depressant (we forget sometimes that alcohol is a drug). So the feelings of sadness may be repressed/stuffed and yet they remain and build up, often resulting in depression. It's easy to miss depression when it's masked by anger or concealed/hidden by other behavior/emotions. Please let me know if I can offer other information.

Very best, Jim

Page last updated Jan 07, 2015

Alcoholism: Featured Experts