Alcoholic or not, You Still Don't Have to Drink
Jim LaPierre Says...
I commend you for being concerned and I think you already know the answer. I can give you my opinion, which in short is, "yes." Then I'll give you my longer answer which is that:
1. There are at least a couple dozen types of alcoholism (perhaps hundreds)
2. No one has the right to label anyone an alcoholic except themselves
3. A clinician like me can diagnose a person as having a problem abusing alcohol or diagnose alcohol dependence. This is a fine line but in my opinion it's a line that matters.
4. Like the subject line reads - whether you're an alcoholic or not, you don't ever have to drink.
5. If using alcohol causes a person to have problems (thinking about it all the time, not being able to drink in moderation then they have a problem with alcohol.
Stay dry - look at what could be improved in your life and improve it. Add something cool to your life
Page last updated Apr 07, 2013