Changing the stinking thinking.

answered 01:37 PM EST, Mon June 10, 2013
-- filed under:
How can I stop from being a dry drunk if I can’t or won’t go to AA?

Jeannie Cameron Says...

Jeannie Cameron J. Cameron
MS, NCC, LMHC, CAP
Facebook

Good Question. There are many who can put down the drink and have succeeded in their abstinence but continue the "behaviorisms" of alcoholism. This putting down the drink without addressing the behaviors is known as being a "dry drunk". The behaviors that go along hand-in-hand with addictions is lying, irritability, impulsiveness and other character deficits that usually send people to self-medicate in the first place. There are many things one can do instead of AA or NA. Joining a church or a non-denomination spiritual community can help one develop a direction in one's life. Going to a psychotherapist and processing how one deals with their day-to-day life and learning appropriate communication skills, and coping methods as well as learning about more about why you started self-medicating in the first place, can also help. Reading self-help books in the areas of your weaknesses is another suggestion. There is no dearth of avenues for personal empowerment. It takes tenacity and perseverance for one to overcome behavior that no longer serves their higher self. If it were myself, I would stop at nothing to ensure my future did not repeat my past. I hope the best for you in your quest for self discovery.

Jeannie Cameron, LMHC

NAPLES, FL

Page last updated Jun 10, 2013

Alcoholism: Featured Experts