Can I use my grandfather as my Higher Power?

answered 03:30 PM EST, Sat December 08, 2012
-- filed under:
I am trying to go through the 12 steps sort of on my own. I do not believe in God. Is it ok to use the memory of my dead grandfather as a higher power. He was a really good person and I respected him a lot. I can kind of imagine having a conversation about any of this stuff I am going through today and he would always give me good advice. He would be like the good angel on my shoulder compared to the bad devil on my other shoulder that leads me down paths I shouldn’t walk down anymore.

Jeannie Cameron Says...

Jeannie Cameron J. Cameron

Many people recover from addiction without religion or a Higher Power. The 12 Step Program was originally a spiritual program adapted to AA from the Oxford Group Dr. Silkworth and William James, known as the father of modern psychology. The moral backbone of the Oxford Group was absolute honesty, absolute purity, absolute unselfishness and absolute love. The tenants of The 12-Step Program were to not interfere with anyone's religious views. The initial view was to be strictly non-denominational. Read more about it's origins here.

Therefore the answer to your question is 'yes'. Using your grandfather as your Higher Power is okay. As you grow and learn through this program you will broaden your prospective of the spiritual life that is in you. The program is a personal development program and the simple statements and studying on each step should be not hastily Processed. In fact this should be an existential search for your ideal life. These steps helps you achieve that life. 

Good Luck on your journey. 

Jeannie Cameron, LMHC

Naples, FL

Page last updated Dec 11, 2012

Alcoholism: Featured Experts