Addiction to Anything

answered 08:29 PM EST, Sat May 04, 2013
-- filed under: |
Can people get addicted to anything that causes a dopamine spike in the brain? So anything pleasurable at all can be addictive to people with a certain predisposition?

Jennifer Hamilton Says...

Jennifer Hamilton J. Hamilton
LCSW, CADC

What a brilliant question.  In theory, yes.  As far as what I have been taught, the only addictions that have been proven aside from drugs of abuse are sugar and gambling.  I believe what you are saying to be true based on what I have learned about the brain.  With both and sugar and gambling, you can see a sharp decrease in functioning as the addiction progresses.  Sugar addiction that results in weight gain and poor health can kill you.  Gambling is associated with high rates of bankruptcy and suicide.  I can see where some people would argue that some things are more habits than addictions.  I think you pose a valid question and I am sorry that I do not have a definitive answer for you.  Perhaps one of the other professionals on here would have a more precise answer. 

Page last updated May 05, 2013

Call Now for
Rehab Options
Insurance Accepted
(Except Medicare)

Addictions: Featured Experts