History of Addiction/Alcoholism Counselor

answered 05:53 PM EST, Tue July 09, 2013
How important is it to find an addictions counselor that has a history of personal addiction? Does this make that person more able to understand what I am going through? Can a person who has not experienced addiction or alcoholism really understand just by reading about and talking to other people about what it is like? Wouldn’t it be like trying to explain the color green to a blind person?

Zelik Mintz Says...

I certainly understand your question and concern.  It is not important that an addiction counselor have a personal history of addiction or alcoholism him or herself in order to best help and understand the person dealing with addiction or alcoholism.  Instead of the analogy given of trying to explain the color green to a blind person, I would offer the analogy of a doctor treating a patient with a physical illness without having had the illness him or herself. That said, in my experience working with addiction and alcoholism counselors, I have found that many addiction and alcoholism counselors have dealt with addiction issues personally.

Page last updated Jul 09, 2013

Addiction Treatment: Featured Experts
Topics Covered by this Expert
Alcoholism and Mental Illness Wet House