Mandatory Treatment

answered 04:24 PM EST, Mon February 02, 2015
In Massachusetts, what is the usual amount of time prescribed for mandatory heroin addiction treatment?
Is there an average or a usual amount?
The law says up to 90 days. Do most addicts get the full 90 days?

Jim LaPierre Says...

Hi there and thank you for your question. The short answer is that while there is a lot of variance from state to state, there is also variance (in my experience) from judge to judge. I would expect the number of past convictions would be factored, as well as any existing probation and parole requirements to be factored in. I encourage folks to consider getting as much treatment as possible. If you are to appeal to the court for less treatment, it should be based on economic hardship and/or needs of family members, in which case I would encourage you to seek day treatment or outpatient services. Your best bet may be to get an assessment completed by an addictions professional and present those findings to the ADA in charge of your case. Good luck and please make your recovery a priority!

Page last updated Feb 02, 2015

Call Now for
Rehab Options
Insurance Accepted
(Except Medicare)

Addiction Treatment: Featured Experts